Friday, October 15, 2010

Secretive Salmon


A lot of people ask me where I get ideas for my recipes. Honestly? It’s usually just a matter of convenience- it’s whatever I have under hand at the moment. Hence, this recipe where salmon meets garden herbs. 

My dad came home with some salmon steaks for dinner and groaned when I ran for my stack of cookbooks. Why couldn’t I just cut to the chase for once and cook the steaks plain? Realizing my family was too hungry to have the patience for a long involved recipe, I promised to keep things simple. Still, it’s me, and I hate cooking without marinades. I grabbed a few herbs from the garden and threw them in with some olive oil. The steaks marinated secretly while my dad set up the grill.

If you’re looking for a quick dinner recipe, this is it!

Lemon Salmon with Mint

4 salmon steaks
1 cup olive oil
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 lemon (sliced)
1 handful mint (chopped)
1 clove garlic (minced/crushed)
a few leaves basil (Not really necessary, but I can’t wander past basil without picking some and throwing it into whatever I’m cooking. It’s a problem.)
Salt & Pepper

1. Combine oil, lemon juice, mint, basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a small pot and warm over a lowish heat for a few moments. The heat will help the herbs release their flavor, allowing it to spread through the olive oil.
2. Place salmon steaks in a shall bowl.
3. Pour the marinade over the salmon steaks, making sure to coat all sides.
4. Let sit covered for a half hour.
5. Throw those steaks on the grill or in a pan and let them sizzle!
6. Grill the lemon slices and use as a delicious decorative topping.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Helene,

    I really like your lemon salmon with mint. I have never used mint before, but I am very eager to try.
    I make a salmon recipe that is fairly similar to use. I love using lemon with different types of fish, but especially salmon.
    One recipe that I do with salmon and lemon is as follows. I am usually cooking for jus myself and my wife so it is usually only two decent sized pieces of salmon. I like to salt/pepper the filets, and drizzle a little canola oil over top. I use canola oil because I use on the grill and olive oil will get bitter at high temperatures.
    Then I hand crush garlic and spread that over each filet. I will try and let that sit for about 10-15 minutes to let the flavors absorb into each other and while I prepare the rest. I will get out and slice two lemons, about 1/8 thick. I Line the lemons on a bottom of piece of tin foil to make a bed of lemons, and place my salmon filets on top.
    I will transport the salmon to the grill and will cook with indirect heat since the tin foil is on the bottom. I usually let cook for about 15 minutes, and right before serving drizzle a fresh squeeze of lemon on top. I usually like to serve with a side of rice.
    The salmon comes out perfectly moist, with a nice touch of lemon. It should have just a hint of a crust from the flames surrounding while cooking on the grill.

    ReplyDelete